Monday, November 14, 2011

Cuzco from afar






I got to Cuzco after a 26 hour bus trip from Lima. I didn't realise at the time, but I had a bad case of siroche, or altitude sickness. That's a first for me. This is what Cuzco looks like as one approaches from a very fine highway, a miracle of Modern engineering and human accomplishment.

I didn't like being in Cuzco. I'm not a glizty tourist kind of guy, and the hustlers on the sidewalks drove me mental. I was looking for a place where people live. This is some indication of that as we rode in on the bus, a few of my fellow passengers vomiting and others sick and in pain.
***
This is more or less how the locals live, which isn't bad if one considers that needs are more or less simple, and much of our Modern world is a perversion of such. Still, it is good to be 'rich' in the sense I am, and I expect that Peruvians await the day when they have everything moreso and nicer. Till then, this is the tourist haunt of Cuzco far from the tourists.

***

No comments: