Saturday, May 01, 2010

A small pox on your frat. house

You've likely heard that Americans tried to exterminate Indians by transmitting smallpox in donated blankets, a forerunner of Nazi extermination campaigns. I asked my wife of the time if such is true, she being in medicine. No, it's not likely that anyone tried to spread small pox in blankets, she said, shortly prior to telling me about my own failings as a human being. But I'm not nearly so interesting as smallpox in the New World. So, if ever you've wondered about this story, wondered or just assumed it to be true, follow, as did Truepeers who sent me this link, the real story of yet another myth about the evils of America. Leftard lies exposed yet again. (And don't be fooled by my ex-wife's tales about me either.)

Smallpox, Indians, and Germ Warfare

name and address



The story of the British spreading smallpox as a form of germ warfare against the American Indians in the years before the Revolutionary War has received wide attention in recent years. But is it true or merely politically-inspired disinformation? Lord Jeffery Amherst was the commanding general of British forces in North America during the final battles of the French and Indian war (1754-1763). During this war, the French allied with the Indians in an attempt to drive the British out of North America. The evidence that suggests a possible "germ warfare" tactic during this war consists entirely of postscripts attached to the ends of two letters from Colonel Henry Bouquet during Pontiac's Rebellion:

Colonel Henry Bouquet to General Amherst, dated 13 July 1763:

P.S. I will try to inocculate the the Indians by means of Blankets that may fall in their hands, taking care however not to get the disease myself. As it is pity to oppose good men against them, I wish we could make use of the Spaniard's Method, and hunt them with english dogs, supported by Rangers, and some Light Horse, who would I think effectively extirpate or remove that Vermine.

http://brneurosci.org/smallpox.html

This is a worthwhile look into the anti-American nonsense that passes for educated discourse these days, though this particular story has been floating around for 40 years or more. Yes, it's bull. But, what about Eskimos having 172 words for snow? That has to be true, doesn't it...?

No comments: